Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Be Proud and Use Your Words



I'm going to bring up appearances. We all know that it can take a lot to feel comfortable in your own skin. However, once you do the work and start having a semblance of those feelings or even a full on "I'm always looking fine" attitude, it doesn't stop others from commenting. I've learned that I really don't want to take part in that and try to keep things positive. I love complimenting strangers when they are looking fabulous or people I know who are trying something new. How you look is of course a reflection of what you are feeling inside. So somehow, after working through the worst parts of my depression, color felt safe to introduce back into my daily wardrobe and I actually wore real clothes instead of pajamas

What it boils down to is that I'm proud to be me and I'd rather wear a smile, so when people in my life, particularly family, because they are only trying to be helpful (*eyeroll*) make me feel bad by commenting on my hair, my weight, my clothes, my ANYTHING...I say "I don't want to hear it." I actually say that. I don't find it helpful, I find it hurtful. I realize other people are the ones that have to look at me, but I'm the one that has to BE me, so what I say goes.

On a semi-related note, I think back to how the depth of my depression could possibly be related to how often I looked in the mirror. Days of not showering or simply the one lone middle of the night, bathroom mirror stare down, sadness reflected back....After all that, I have to listen to anyone tell me how I should cut or grow my hair??? Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment