Monday, July 21, 2014

Personal Experiences: Choosing "Self Health"

Image Source
After 28 years, most of them outside of a romantic relationship, I was able to get to know myself and my habits fairly well. It continues to be a learning process as I try to find more things that make me happy and cut out or adjust the things that don't. For example, after a long 10 hour day at work, I'm generally exhausted and I change into my comfy pj's, throw my dirty clothes across the floor and curl up with my laptop.

As the mess piles up, I am soon surrounded by it, and still "too tired" to deal with it as it becomes really big and impedes my path towards the door. Ah, what a metaphor for my life. Basically, like any pesky problem or chore or errand, it's best to be proactive, think ahead, be on the offense instead of always playing defense. So thus, I am trying to remember to make better choices.

For example, I have been holding out on rearranging my room for a long time because it is going to be a huge pain in the ass. However, I know the end result will be worth it. I will be able to clean out under my bed, get rid of the pesky unreachable dust bunnies and get a fresh perspective on my room. Just making that decision to do this for myself, I feel better, because I know I'm choosing something that will be good for me. I get the same feeling when I take the time to pack myself a nice lunch the night before instead of grabbing whatever I find in the morning as I rush out the door.

I'd like to start a running list of things that make me feel good, and make me feel like I'm actively choosing to take care of my "self health." Some that come to mind, like packing my lunch, are: hot/cool shower (depending on the weather) before bed, flossing, painting my nails, clearing out old mementos with negative associations (or that are just piling up), drinking lots of water (having to refill my water bottle once or twice during the day) and listening to meditative music or a guided meditation as I fall asleep.

What are some things you do?

Image Source



No comments:

Post a Comment