Thursday, July 31, 2014

Food for Thought: Eckhart Tolle Quote -EDIT-


"You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is already within you, and allowing that goodness to emerge."


-Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth


EDIT: I think on its own, this quote probably seems super "New Age-y" but I think what hit me most while reading it is the idea that we're already good. At our core, we are good and we don't have to spend our whole lives trying to become good and "be on our best behavior" and guilt ourselves into things we "should" do etc. Understanding that who you are, as you are right now, is a good person. What Eckhart Tolle goes on to say is that the ego, aka that voice in our head narrating our thoughts, is what blocks that idea from us. It can be easy for us to downplay our accomplishments in order to not seem too arrogant and so many other versions of judgement that we place on ourselves. Instead of worrying about "doing the right thing" etc. I want to just be me and be okay with that and know that I have my own path.

No comments:

Post a Comment